RV Air Conditioner and Return Vent
In another article, I wrote about the rv air conditioner and how you could locate it on the external part of the RV. I also had an article with a picture of the roof with the air conditioner clearly showing.
In this article, you can see the INSIDE of the RV, looking up at the ceiling, where the rv air conditioner is located along with its return vent.
On almost every RV with an air conditioner, you’ll see a very large rectangular GRID on the roof of your RV. On every one of these, the air conditioner return vent is located there. Why? Well for one reason, it is the direct input to the air conditioner and the return vents are located so that the conditioners can get air. You can’t very well get outside air since the air conditioner has to suck in and cool the air and the outside air would be too hot. The idea would be that you cool air that is already cooler so your air conditioner doesn’t have to work so hard. Since the air conditioner blows air, it stands to reason that it has to suck in air from somewhere so that it has air to cool and blow out. So that is why you need a air return vent.
Some RV air conditioners will also just blow their chilled or cooled air out from a vent right next to the air return vent. The advantage to this is that is is cheap and simple – the RV manufacturer doesn’t have to put in an ductwork. Another advantage is that the air conditioner has to work less since it doesn’t have to push air into ductwork. The disadvantage is that the cool air is located mostly in one spot.
Our Open Range 399BHS has ductwork. Honestly, I would recommend against an RV with ductwork and encourage you to get one that has a straight dump out. In our Open Range, the ducts are very small and I think make it very difficult to route the air efficiently. With two $20 fans from Walmart you could just as effectively get the cool air where you want it – with the added advantage that air would always be moving on those warm days.
I thought I would list just a small handful of RV air conditioners from Amazon (disclosure) for your convenience.
- Brisk Air Dometic Duo Therm RV Air Conditioner Shroud (New Style)
- Dometic A/C Brisk Air Roof Top Air Conditioner 13,500 BTU Upper Unit Polar White 457915.XX1C0
- Dometic Brisk Air 457915 13,500 BTU Upper Unit Polar White RV Rooftop A/C Unit
- Dometic A/C Penguin II 13,500 BTU Roof Top Air Conditioner Upper Unit White 640315CXX1C0
- RV Motorhome Solar Battery 12-Volt Evaporative Swamp Air Conditioning Cooler
CURRENT eBay listings for RV Air Conditioner items:
- RV COLEMANSMACH 9330F715 WHITE AIR CONDITIONER PANEL ONLY
- Rv Camper Coleman 8330B3211 Air Conditioner PC Board – AC
- Dometic RV Roof Top Air Conditioner B57915.XX1C0
- Coleman RV 13,500 BTU Rooftop Air Conditioner #48203C9665
- 13.5 DOMETIC NEW STYLE BRISK II RV AIR CONDITIONER with ceiling assembly
- Advent AC135HP 13,500 BTU White RV Air Conditioner with Heat Pump – AC
- Atwood 15026 RV 15,000 BTU Air Conditioner & Heat Pump w/ 15021 Inside Assembly
- Dometic B57915.XX1C0 13,500 BTU RV Roof Top Air Conditioner AC – 57915
- Dometic B59516.XX1C0 15,000 BTU Brisk Air II RV Air Conditioner – AC
- Advent AC135 13,500 BTU White RV Air Conditioner – AC
- Dometic B57915.XX1J0 13,500 BTU Black Brisk Air II RV Air Conditioner
- Dometic B59516.XX1J0 15,000 BTU Black Brisk Air II RV Air Conditioner – AC
- Advent AC135HP 13,500 BTU White RV Air Conditioner & Heat Pump w/ Inside Control
- Advent AC135HP 13,500 BTU White RV Air Conditioner with Heat Pump Lot of 2 – AC
- Genuine Coleman 1468A3129 RV Air Conditioner AC Blower Motor Fasco