RV52.com has bought and sold several RVs with varying degrees of success. We (Sheri and I) have used this site, RVtrader, RVT, and craigslist. One of our children very successfully sold an Airstream travel trailer for substantially more than expected using eBay.
Far and above I’ve had the MOST success using the big sites (RVTrader and RVT) and limited success using craigslist.
I’ll also provide a few quick hits for you that are easy things within your control to do REGARDLESS of any advertising you would do.
- A good video helps a lot. We made vids of all of our RVs. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video is immeasurable.
- Get LOTS of good pictures. Use your phone camera and get a panoramic picture or two.
- Make the bed when you take pictures.
- Control the lighting so the outside lights don’t mess up the picture (saturate is the big word here)
- If they are blurry, take it again.
- Straighten up the interior.
- Measure the darned thing. Even if you can find the specs online, people will still ask.
- List in multiple places. Yes it might cost you a little, but if you want to dance with the big dogs, you gotta bark.
- Look out for “scams” where people try to take your money. Escrow is the #1 way to avoid this. eBay has escrow built in, but I haven’t personally used escrow. RV52 can help with escrow for a small fee.
Three Methods for Selling your RV
Method #1 – Easy (Free, but only modestly successful) – Craigslist
- If you have never been on craigslist, then start here: https://www.craigslist.org/about/sites
- Otherwise you know what you are doing, right?
- Beware of scams from craigslist. Beware of scams.
Method #2 – Easy (very inexpensive) – eBay
- Completely new to eBay? –> You can get started here: eBay Home Page
- Ready to sell something? –> You can get started here: Start Selling on eBay
- New, but know you want to open an account?: Open an Account
Method #3 – Expensive (expensive, but very effective) – RVT.com
- I put the graphic below and you can click on it to get started on RVT.com. Far and away, I’ve personally had the most success paying for ads on this big site rather than from craigslist. So I guess you would say that I recommend this over other techniques.
Hi Pressure Advertising Sales Techniques
First, if you have to use high pressure… I would say that is a big red flag on the chances of these people selling your RV.
Once when I placed an ad on RVTrader.com, one of the “leads” though was from a company called rvregistry .com (I have to separate the .com from the name so they get NO credit for a link as they do not deserve it).
This was actually a CALL from a high pressure style calling center, probably in Omaha Nebraska. When I told him I was happy with RVTrader, he got really mouthy ( I think his name might have been Vince? ) with me – insinuating that I was stupid. I might be stupid, but I’m not sure that rvregistry is the worldwide “deemer” of stupid and smart. I told him that I was done here.
The other sad part was that he said that they had people wanting to buy my RV. I’m thinking if that was the case, perhaps he ought to take his cut when it sells rather than put all the risk on me.
Well anyway, if they treat me poorly, they will treat other people poorly too. I’m originally from Nebraska, and so especially disconcerting for me was such bad mouthed manners from an instate business.
NOTE : They have a few complaints from BBB – which I think stem from high pressure sales techniques. I’m absolutely sure they probably do not really help sell your RV.
My advice : Stay clear.
Other Articles on Buying and Selling RVs
Discover the three easy techniques.
Find out what RV52 has done to buy and sell without losing tons of money.
Videos galore on selling RVs. Just sit back and watch and learn.
Anecdotal story on avoiding high pressure sales tactics.
No. I'm not an attorney and this isn't legal advice, but rather a convenience to help you do what you wanted or needed to do anyway.
You can cut and paste the result into an editing program and shazzam - I've saved you a bunch of time.
Or you can use some of my links to get legal forms (which cost money) from more legally organizations.
Here are some videos on how to sell your RV:
YouTube responded with an error: The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your <a href="/youtube/v3/getting-started#quota">quota</a>.