(Note – this article is a pseudo-excerpt from the book The Spartan RV. Learn more about living life more fully, without STUFF in that book)
Networking & Entertainment where the equipment is hidden yet useful
When we took possession of our Open Range 399BHS it was equipped with 2 TV’s and a simple surround sound home theater system. I imagine that is typical for RV’s – and probably even all sorts of homes with built-in appliances too.
For us, we really had no plans to utilize cable TV and wanted something better. What we wanted was a system that could :
- Record any TV shows we wanted to watch so we could watch them later
- Record multiple channels simultaneously
- Play our music on the built in audio system
- Play any TV/Music found on the internet on our TV or audio system
- Share files all over the house ( RV )
- Not worry too much about where the printer/scanner resides ( yet still be able to use copiously )
- Have access to all of our iTunes content everywhere
- Interconnect all of our electronics
- Not have any wires all over the house
- Play DVD’s/CD’s
- Have movies/content available on OTHER TV’s!
- Not have to deal with the cable TV company or phone company
Well – our system does all of this. Here is a drawing ( some details left out ) of that system that show the major components ( Click to Enlarge ) :
Here is a list of the components I use ( and can personally recommend strongly ) and their Amazon or other affiliate links. (I am compensated for purchases you make from these links but I 100% believe in all these products).
- Apple Mac Mini ( We work the heck out of this thing – its on 24/7 )
- Apple TV ( Very cool… but )(We’ve recently switched to Amazon Fire Sticks and love them dearly)
- Apple Airport Extreme ( I tried others but other routers were truly unreliable )
- Apple Wireless Keyboard ( bluetooth )
- Apple Wireless Trackpad ( bluetooth )
- HD Home Run IP TV Streaming Tuner
- Clear Wireless Internet ( hard to find anymore after the Sprint purchase in 2013 )
- Western Digital USB Disk Drive
- Epson Workforce Printer ( I’ve used HP and Canon and the Epson I like much better – less SW clutter )
Please if you have any questions – contact me or use the comments below.
I’ve also made a video :