- Write down all medications in a notebook that you are currently taking.
- Under each medication, write down ANY side effect, concern or symptom while taking the med ( it does not matter how small it is,WRITE IT DOWN)
- Write the doctor (name and specialty) that is prescribing next to medication
- Why are you taking the medication? Really, you need to know this crisply.
- Have a section to write questions that you have about medications, ask the WHY’s if in doubt
- Keep a running list of all the medications you have taken in the past and why you were taking them and the reaction you had.
- Take this notebook to EVERY doctor appointment, even non prescribing doctors. The reason for that is because your currently symptoms could be related. Safe rather than sorry.
- When you get prescriptions filled, verify the label and the actual medications in the bottle you received. If it looks different ASK for the WHY
- Pharmacies make mistakes all the time that can harm you. Be proactive as you are important to lots of people.
- If you are like me, I write down the time I take my medication so I can remember that I took it or need to take it.
- Make yourself aware of the generics of the medications your taking.
- If you are able, its a good idea to have a picture of what your pills look like.
This notebook could save your life or the life of a family member. If you need help, or a consulting session with me, we can arrange something.
Here are some tools that could help you: