This might seem like a silly post, but here are some little things about how recreational vehicles might be named or what the little designations might be in their model numbers. Understanding RV model names (or rv model numbers) makes RV shopping much much easier. It will also help you to get a bogey on price without actually talking with anyone – just for quick mental notes of course.
Possible Text tags in the RV Model Names
- SS = Super Slide
- FK = Front Kitchen
- RK = Rear Kitchen
- RL = Rear Living
- FL = Front Living
- FB = Front Bath
- Q= Queen bed somewhere
- K = Kitchen somewhere, many times this is used to show off the outdoor kitchen.
- RE = Rear Entertainment (not much different from rear living)
- RGT = Most likely rear great room
- BH = bunk house (extra beds for kids – not for example the kitchen table converting into a bed)
Possible number meanings in RV Model Names
- 392 = 392 square feet. I think it counts the slides extended.
- 292 = 292 square feet.
- 29 = 29 feet (29 * 8) = the real square footage.
Examples of different RV model name & numbers and what they translate to as near as I can tell:
- Puma 19-RL — 19 foot rear living travel trailer
- Puma 23-RBFQ — 23 foot Rear Bunk (or bath) Front Queen. This one actually is 28 feet long so the 23 doesn’t make much sense, but I think you could also think of it as a way to “sort” the product line from smallest to biggest with length as an approximation. In other words – don’t get too hung up on it.
- Puma 28-RBSS — 28 foot (approx) rear bath super slide.
- Puma 31-RDKS — 31 foot (actually 34) rear dining kitchen slide.
- Keystone 288RLS — 288 sq ft (appxo 32feet x 8 feet wide) rear living slide
- Keystone 330RBK — 330 sq ft rear bunk (outside) kitchen.
Of course these are my guesses – they don’t really tell me, but I think I’m pretty close overall. Now that you have at least a partial decoder ring, the RV model name can mean a little be more and be more useful to you. It isn’t a perfect scheme, but I think you’ll find it handy.
Here are some resources to help you get started on your hunt for an RV:
- Start here to find out more about what RV would fit your lifestyle
- Start here to look through RV types in an organized fashion –> RV university.
- Read my eBook on how to “shift your mind” regarding stuff and downsize to an RV – The Spartan RV
- Read this SIMPLE companion guide to an RV user manual to get a healthy perspective on RV systems – The Ultimate RV Companion Users Manual – Fifth Wheel edition
- Here are some of my notes on buying an RV to save yourself a little money
Here are some books that might help you with your RV search. I ASSUME you are searching for an RV otherwise you might not be interested in model numbers.