RV Slide outs – Extra living space at the push of a button!
For a really good introductory article on RV slide outs click here!. This article should help you get a better understanding of the slideout and help you enjoy the videos below.
Here are a number of products from Amazon (Amazon Disclosure). Rv52.com hasn’t tried most of these personally so these are really here just for your convenience:
- Thetford Rubber Seal Conditioner – helps keep your slideout seals “rubbery” and pliable
- Thetford Slide Out Lubricant – Check out youtube for “stuck slide-outs”. This lubricant is a simple possible fix.
- Slide Out Supports – Holds up your slide out AND reduces trailer “bounce”
- Slide Out cover – like an awning for your slide out to keep rain & elements off of the slide directly. This is just a representative product – there are very many and you need to make sure you get the right size.
- Slide Out Sharp Corner Covers – Protect your bald head (ok my bald head) from bumping into the sharp corners of the slide outs.
An RV slide out ( may also be shown as one word – RV slideout ) is a portion of the RV’s square footage that slides in and out of the RV. When the slide out is slid in, the space is not usable in the RV, but this is how the RV can be transported safely. When the RV is parked and in use, the slide out is slid out freeing up the space inside the RV that the slide out originally used AND then making the extra square footage in the slide out now available.
If you assume that the largest RV’s are 40 foot long by 8 feet wide, then the maximum square footage is 320 square feet. But with slide outs, the maximum allowable square footage ( by law ) is 400 square feet. So by using slide outs, you can get an additional 80 square feet. Eighty square feet may not seem like a lot, but when your available square feet is 320 square feet that is almost a 20 percent increase.
Slide outs are not perfect. Because of that you might need to learn how to do any of the following :
- Unstick a stuck slide out
- Extend or Retract a slide out without any power – for example you battery is dead
- Work with the slide out seals to get a better seal against the weather
- Learn about slide outs in general
- Learn about awnings over slideouts
- You probably will learn basic slide out stuff like
- When retracting, make sure nothing is inside that is in the way of the slideout ( Sheri and I completely broke a cabinet door off of our RV – twice )
- When extending, make sure someone is outside watching so you don’t ram the slide out into something.
The following videos are a collection of different how-to videos about RV slide outs. If there is one video you particularly like, please let me know ( click here to send me a message )! Thanks ( Marlan ).
RV Slide out Assorted Users Manuals or Instruction Manuals
- Fleetwood Motorhome Slideout System Users Manual for Power Gear Slideouts
- Lippert Components Electric Slideout Operations Guide and Manual
- Lippert Components Schwintek inwall Slideout System Operation and Service Manual
- Alpha Motorhome Slideout Users Manual
RV Slide out How To Videos:
RV Slide out related RANDOM Amazon listings