RV plumbing is the number one repair that my local repair guy performs. The number of repairs are probably due to many factors. I’ll list my theories why plumbing might be so problematic :
- RV’s mobility has a definite vibration factor – vibration loosen’s fittings
- RV’s have water pressure turned on and off all the time. Water cycling cold cause leaks in a water system
- RV’s water systems are pressurized. This pressurization seems a little leak prone to me
- I believe that RV’s experience a greater range of temperatures. Temperature cycling would cause leaks due to expansion and contraction of rv plumbing fittings.
- I cannot prove any of these theories of course!
Some recommendations I would give to reduce plumbing leaks in an RV
- When leaving the RV for more than 2 days, turn off the water to the RV.
- Whenever you turn off the water, make sure you turn off the hot water heater.
- Whenever the water is turned off, but you aren’t taking off, open a faucet and reduce the pressure in the system.
- When turning water back on to the RV, check all of the fittings to make sure there are no new leaks.
- When you are unsure of the external water pressure, make sure you have an incoming pressure control valve.
Here are some more detailed rv plumbing articles and how-to video pages:
RV Outdoor Shower – How To, Videos, and Information
RV Sink How To, Video, and Information
RV Faucet How To, Video, and Information
Here are some other articles about plumbing in the RV you might find handy :
- Article on fixing a bathroom sink in an RV.
- Check out the fresh water inlet article.
- Where you fill your fresh water tank - the inlet
- How to page on Fresh water
- Water routing controls from my book The 5th Wheel RV - the Exterior
- RV Plumbing basics article
- Hooking up the utilities at a campsite
- Tighten those plumbing fixtures regularly!
- Glamping - the coolness of hot water.
- Things come loose with vibration in an RV - Sheri's suprise
- Fixing the kitchen sink with fixtures from Lowes
- Typical RV water convenience center
RV52.com Partner if you need help NOW!
ATTN RVers: RV52.com has partnered with JustAnswer, one of webs trusted "paid" answers site. Sometimes you just need the answer NOW and from a real mechanic.
The form ASKS about your car, but tell it you have an RV and it should "take it from there".
Video Library regarding RV Plumbing :
Amazon Search for RV Plumbing: