An RV awning can be a great adder to enjoying your RV. This page has lots of information to help you get more from your RV awning.
RV Awning Picture Gallery
Here are many of my RV awning pictures. Maybe you'll find something that you find helpful.
RV Awning Videos and Information Page :
Nothing on or in an RV represents better the goal of the RV lifestyle than the RV awning. The awning represents the lazy carefree days in its shade drinking your favorite I-am-just-hanging-out-relaxing” beverage and generally just “peacing-out”. Life under the awning says – slow down and smell the roses. It says – visit with friends and enjoy companionship.
But these darned awnings are simply NOT carefree. They aren't bad, but you can't be mindLESS about them.
Awnings can be as inexpensive or as expensive as you want them to be. The two major types of RV awnings are listed here:
- Manual rv awnings. These will be found on most of the smaller campers where the manufacturer was squeezing every penny out of the cost of the RV. They aren't hard to operate, but each manual awning that I've used seemed to have a couple of secret tricks to get it going.
- Secret trick from our Tiny Texas Tumbleweed awning : The awning has a mechanical lever that allows it to extend or retract.
- Secret trick #2 from the TTT awning: There are little hard to find tabs you have to “flip” to get the support arms to release before you can retract. Those were hard to find and a little hard to remember.
- Secret trick from Puma: This awning would expand & retract without a lever.
- Electric RV Awnings. These awnings don't use spring loaded mechanisms to extend and retract, but instead use an electric motor. You control the electric motor from inside the RV usually. Some quick notes about the electrics.
- If you can control remotely, MAKE SURE you visibly watch for any obstructions. With a manual awning, it is pretty obvious. But with an electric it is easy to get loosey goosey and extend it into a tree and not notice.
- The rain sensors can cause problems. Read the article below.
You can find the awnings in all shapes and varieties. Usually the RV manufacturer provides a list of the components in the RV. The awning is normally listed with the manufacturer and part number for the awning.
I'm pretty sure you should clean your awning but in all our years of RVing, Sheri and I have yet to clean the awnings. They do get mildew on them and ours has mildew streaks. I suppose I should work on the RV and not this site!
We used our awning more with the Open Range 399BHS than our Tiny Texas Tumbleweed. I'm not sure why. The Open Range was a much, much larger RV and larger awning. Also we had a small wooden deck or other ready made surfaces for the Open Range. Having a nice surface makes using the awning more enjoyable.
As I reflect back on the recent TTT trips, we didn't have a great opportunity to be outside for a number of reasons. Once example was taking it to a family reunion as our portable spare bedroom. We didn't stay under the awning because we were always with family.
Even if you don't stay under the awning, extending it on hot days can reduce the sun on the side of your camper and reduce the stress on your RV air conditioner.
Once when we had to replace an awning due to a gust of wind, I've since been very nervous about wind and the RV. That has reduce my joy of using the awning quite a bit. Certainly we always bring ours in at night or even when we leave for even a short amount of time.
I've written several articles as I've learned the ins-and-outs (no pun intended) of the RV awning business!
Some of my articles were :
- Tying down your RV Awning
- My first and not-so-smart awning video
- Some problems I found with the Camco Awning deflappers
- My story about filing an insurance claim with our awning
- My first attempt at a training video – it was pretty bad
- Part of my book, Your 5th Wheel RV, the Exterior, discussing the awning.
- Part of my book, Your 5th Wheel RV, the Exterior, showing the awning controls for an electronic awning.
- Other articles on tying down your awning! Article 1, Article 2
- Short article discussing – Can you put an awning on a slide-out?
- Short article wondering – Can an awning reduce energy costs?
- Reader wonders – Should an awning sag?
- Cute story about a friends electronically controlled awning with a rain sensor
- Another how-t0 section on RV52.com about slideouts, some awning related stuff is in this section.
- RV52.com believes awnings should be standard features on 5th wheels and standard features on travel trailers.
There were more articles, but you get the idea.
Since the awning is the focal point for enjoying an RV because it is like the picnic gathering area, there are many “fun” products for awnings. I'll list a few here as Amazon links – (Amazon Disclosure)
- Universal Awning Hooks that you can use to hang different things from your awning
- Super hi-tech LED rope light that changes colors and even has a remote control
- Classic red white and blue stars rope light for your awning – fairly economical
- Lights for car lover in you!
RV52.com ONLINE INSTANT RV Mechanic if you need help NOW!
ATTN RVers: RV52.com has found ONLINE RV mechanics with JustAnswer, one of internet's trusted "paid" answers site. Sometimes you just need the answer NOW and from a real mechanic.
If you are looking for Dometic 9100 Awning information:
- The manual for the Dometic 9100 is in the manual section on this page.
- You can find the Dometic 9100 Awning fabric replacement here:
- You can find complete awning replacements here:
- You can find replacement motors here: Dometic 9100 awning replacement motor
RV Awning Detailed Videos and Information:
RV Awning Fabric Replacement, How To, Videos, and Information
RV Electric Awning, How To, Videos, and Information
RV Manual Awning, How To, Videos, and Information
RV Awning Lights, How To, Videos, and Information
RV Awning Users Manuals:
- ShadeMaker RV Awning Manual or ROLLUP INSTRUCTIONS
- Carefree of Colorado RV Patio Awning Owner Manual for SpiritFX Fiesta Simplicity Models
- Carefree of Colorado RV Awning Paramount Owners Manual
- Carefree of Colorado RV Awning Apex Owners Manual
- Carefree of Colorado RV Awning Mirage, Manual and Motorized, Owner Manual
- Carefree of Colorado RV Awning Campout Bag Awning for Camping Trailers
- Dometic AE Systems RV Awning Patio WeatherPro User Guide Owners Manual
- Dometic AE Systems RV Awning Patio Universal Plus Users Guide Owners Manual
- Dometic AE Systems RV Awning Patio TwoStep Users Guide Owners Manual
- Dometic AE Systems RV Awning Patio Sunchaser-II Users Guide Owners Manual
- Dometic AE Systems RV Awning Patio Sunchaser Users Guide Owners Manual
- Dometic AE Systems RV Awning Patio Power-Awning Users Guide Owners Manual
- Dometic AE Systems RV Awning Oasis-Manual-Door-Awning_installation-operation Users Manual Owners Guide
- Dometic AE Systems RV Awning Patio Lateral ARM LA03 Users Guide Owners Manual
- Dometic AE Systems RV Awning 9100-Power-Awning Users Guide Owners Manual
- Dometic AE Systems RV Awning 9000-Plus Users Guide Owners Manual
- Dometic AE Systems RV Awning Patio 8500-Plus Users Guide Owners Manual
- Dometic AE Systems RV Awning 8000-8500-9000 Users Guide Owners Manual